Monday, October 14, 2013

Morning Devotions in Armenia, October 2013, Number 3

I have another blog, a private one, called Serendipitous Intersections, which features one post every day of the year. The gist of the blog is, it's a melding of three other 365-day "devotionals", one the famous work of Oswald Chambers and two others containing the work of George MacDonald. What I do is, I juxtapose the daily readings, usually in excerpt form but sometimes in whole, from the three sources and then add a heading of my own intended to unite them in a single concept or angle. Here in Armenia to teach a two-week course, I lead the morning devotions. I decided to use some of my blog posts as material for my "meditations". I specifically took those posts in which the excerpts from Oswald Chambers include a direct Scripture citation. Here is one I shared on Monday, October 14th. First I will give the title from my "Serendipitous Intersections" blog (which I did not include in my talk to the students and staff). In the meditation, parts taken from Chambers or MacDonald, whether in direct quote or paraphrase, will be in bold font with "[Mc]" afterwards for MacDonald and "[OC]" for Oswald Chambers. Additional note: while I genuinely set out to incorporate thoughts and words from Chambers and MacDonald more overtly in this meditation, the meditation, as it formed in my mind and on paper, took on a life of its own and refused to stop and let me "insert" the things I had anticipated as critical to its final shape. Finally, I knew I was beaten and I allowed the meditation to "carry on" to its own conclusion. Nevertheless, the entire meditation is "sparked" by the Chambers and MacDonald readings for May 18th. 

(Based on my May 18th post in Serendipitous Intersections: "Let him who has ears to hear, eyes to see, a heart to open...."-- which is itself based on the May 18th readings in "My Utmost for His Highest" [Chambers], "Diary of an Old Soul" [MacDonald], and reading #139 in "365 Daily Readings from George MacDonald", [MacDonald, edited by C.S. Lewis].)

This morning I want to talk about "The Beauty of the Life of God". Let's begin by reading Matthew 6:25-34 (read). 

"Behold the lilies of the field... the birds of the air... your heavenly Father cares for them... do not worry over what you will wear, or eat...." Can these words be true? Really true? Can we rely on them? Is Jesus asserting that this is the fact and reality of life, the genuine order of the universe? Or... are these just poetic sentiments pronounced to comfort and soothe us? 

This part of the Sermon on the Mount is classically quoted as an example of the "philosophy of Christ" - a philosophy of simplicity, poverty, pacifism, even "Christian communism." 

Take note, however, why Jesus speaks these words. See what it says in verse 25: "For this reason I say to you...." 

Everything Christ says about not worrying, everything He says about the lilies of the field and birds of the air, everything He says about how the heavenly Father knows our needs, everything He says about seeking first the kingdom of God, He says for this reason: "No one can serve two masters...; you cannot serve God and wealth." (v. 24)

All these beautiful words--and they are beautiful--constitute an absolute, yes, a severe summons to service. These words are not only true words; they are the non-negotiable conditions of our service in the army of Christ. The people hearing Jesus that day knew very well that this startling man from Nazareth wasn't presenting them with a bouquet of lovely notions to cross-stitch into pillow covers or wall hangings. Jesus was starkly summoning them to abandon hope in all else and give up their dreams of everything else but the kingdom that He, Jesus of Nazareth, was now unveiling, right there and then, in His Own Person. He was commanding them to make a choice, and they knew it. His challenge didn't make them feel philosophically "inspired" and He didn't intend it to. His challenge jolted and threw their accustomed categories of thought into desperate confusion. 

That's why Matthew tells us: "When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law." (Matt. 7: 28,29) We read this wrong if we imagine the people milling about, exchanging commentary, "My, my, that was certainly an impressive sermon; I'd say this young man knows a thing or two." The people were not "impressed" by Jesus' "expertise". That's not what Matthew is talking about when he says they were amazed at His authority. The people were stunned, shocked, speechless, because Jesus' teaching was an announcement of supreme, absolute authority vested in Himself, over heaven and earth, forever and ever. The same "Sermon on the Mount" that contains beautiful phrases about lilies of the field and birds of the air is the "Sermon on the Mount" in which Jesus categorically announces that on the last day mankind will turn to Him, crying, "Lord! Lord!" That's the authority that astounded the hearers that day; moreover, it's the authority, and the command to submit to it, that most of those listening that day finally rejected. 

All the words and deeds of Christ are beautiful with the "beauty of the life of God."  But this is not the kind of beauty that exists to charm and inspire us to sunny optimism. No, it’s the Beauty that drives a man like Paul to tell believers: “I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.” (Romans 12: 1). It’s the kind of Beauty that compels you to make a total sacrifice of your life as the only possible, fitting, worthy response. It’s all or nothing. “You’re in the army now….”

Many people will reject, and slander, and try to destroy the beauty of the life of God, exactly as they did when it walked among us incarnate in Jesus. And when we face such rejection and hatred, that’s when Jesus’ words about the Father’s love and care stop being charming notions and become a lifeline we desperately cling to for survival.


“Behold the lilies of the field… the birds of the air… they neither toil nor spin… do not worry over what to eat, what to wear… your heavenly Father knows what you need….” Can these words be true, can they be real? Lord, tell us, is this Reality, the way things actually are? Can we take Your words as the absolute word from Heaven above, and stake our lives on them? 

Jesus answers: "“My teaching is not my own. It comes from the one who sent me.  Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.(John 7:17)